How to protect yourself from tax-refund fraud

Guard your personal documents to keep thieves from stealing your identity and using it to claim your tax refund.

by Cameron Huddleston of Kiplinger’s Personal Finance Magazine

Tax season officially started this week when the IRS began accepting returns. Even if you’re not ready to start preparing your taxes, you need to start thinking about protecting your identity because thieves are looking for ways to steal it at tax time. In particular, they’re after your Social Security number so they can use it to fraudulently file a return to claim a refund.

Tax- and wage-related fraud often tops the Federal Trade Commission’s annual list of identity theft complaints. And the IRS sees thousands of scams meant to trick taxpayers into revealing personal information.

The agency says it has stepped up its efforts this year to protect taxpayers from ID theft, including increasing the number of screening filters to spot fraudulent returns filed by thieves to collect refunds that don’t belong to them. However, taxpayers need to take their own steps to protect their identity and guard against fraud during tax season.

Guard your Social Security number. The IRS warns taxpayers not to carry their Social Security cards or any documents with their Social Security numbers or taxpayer identification numbers on them. And do not give out these numbers just because you’re asked. You will be required to provide your Social Security number in any situation that requires your identity to be verified (such as an application for credit or a license) or about which the IRS must be notified. Otherwise, be sure to ask whether the agency, business or organization has to have the number.

Monitor your mailbox. Make sure you receive all the W-2, 1099 and other tax forms you expect to get. If you fail to receive some, contact the company or financial institution that was supposed to send them to find out if and when they were mailed. If you suspect that any of these forms were stolen from your mailbox, contact the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit at 800-908-4490 extension 245.

Ignore e-mails from the IRS. The IRS doesn’t send taxpayers e-mails or text messages. So do not reply to e-mails or messages supposedly from the IRS, open any attachments (which could contain viruses) or click on any links (which could take you to a fraudulent site). Forward all suspect e-mails to
Be wary of people claiming to be IRS agents. Don’t reveal any personal information if someone calls and claims to be from the IRS. Instead, call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 to see if an agent has a legitimate need to contact you.

Protect your refund. If you file your tax return by mail, use certified mail from the U.S. Postal Service to confirm that your return was received. And opt for direct deposit of tax refunds to avoid lost or stolen checks. The best way to make sure your refund check doesn’t end up in the wrong hands is to NOT have a refund coming in the first place. To do so, use a tax withholding calculator to find out how many allowances you should be claiming on the W-4 form filed with your employer so you can get your money when you earn it — not in a refund next spring.

Store sensitive information in a secure place. Store paper tax forms in a locked home safe or safe-deposit box. Electronic forms should be stored on a password-protected or encrypted external drive or disk. Use strong passwords that include upper and lowercase characters, numbers and symbols such as *, ! and & (see Protect Your Online Privacy With Unique Passwords). Never store tax files or any personal information on a cloud or Internet drive. And use a wiping application before getting rid of old computers that contain past tax information.

Be picky about your preparer. Many fraud rings front as tax-preparation companies and may offer to review returns for inaccuracies, but they can steal your information and redirect your refund, says Adam Levin, founder and chairman of Identity Theft 911. Also be wary of tax services that promise a bigger or faster refund.

Verify the status of a preparer’s license with the Better Business Bureau and IRS Office of Professional Responsibility. E-mail the IRS at with the full name of the individual or company and the address.

Reprinted from MSN Money partner


About melvynburrow

Attorney and CPA services.
This entry was posted in Money, Taxes. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s